Sunday, March 19, 2006

Hiro's Pulled Pork Sandwich

I took a stab at making my own version of a pulled pork sandwich. The Carolinas are famous for their slow cooked pulled pork sandwiches. They are traditionally served on a bun with a heaping of cole slaw in the sandwich. The BBQ sauce is also very important. In North Carolina, the BBQ sauce is usually vinegar based, whereas in South Carolina, the sauce is more mustard based. I attempted to make a BBQ sauce that incorporated both vinegar and mustard.

My interpretation of this dish is Asian inspired. The slaw is a mix of cabbage, carrots, and scallions. The slaw dressing ingredients are as follows (I just eyeball everything like Rachael Ray. No measuring spoons here. Just mix dressing to your own liking:

Soy Sauce
Rice Vinegar
Sesame Oil
Wasabi
Mustard (I use a Japanese variety)
Ground Pepper
Ginger
Shichimi Togarashi(seven spice pepper blend)

Always remember that with any salad or slaw, you don't want to drown your veggies in the liquid. Pour and toss just enough for a nice even coat.

I used a small pork loin, and rubbed it with a simple blend of salt, pepper, and brown sugar. I also put some garilc cloves inside the meat to infuse it during the slow bake. Always let the meat sit for a few minutes after cooking so the juices won't run out of the meat. After it's rested, just start "pulling" the meat into pieces.

I took the garlic cloves from the pork, and I used them in my BBQ sauce. I mixed together ketchup, rice vinegar, mustard, soy sauce, ground pepper, some of the juice from the cooked meat, and brown sugar.

I took some Japanese white bread that I bought from Mitsuwa Market and toasted them lightly in butter.

Mitsuwa Marketplace - 3760 Centinela Ave, 90066
310.398.2113

4 comments:

Camille said...

Mmm sounds so goood and looks good too! how did it taste ?

Hiro said...

It was really good. I made the bread extra buttery and toasty. The pork came out really nice and juicy.

Tokyoastrogirl said...

Ohhhhhh this looks so good. I love me a good pulled pork sandwich! I particularly love the idea of having it on Japanese toast- I mean, it's so good on it's own, so it could only be better with a nice pile of shredded pork on it right?

Ken Sloan said...

I'm going to be eating pulled pork sandwiches for the next week since I just made 3 pounds for the two of us last night :o Yours looks tastier than mine!